Ignoramuses on YouTube (Warning, Rant ahead)

mardi 13 octobre 2015

I never allow YouTube comments to get to me, I usually just watch the video in question and go on about my day, but today something just set me off, and I HAD to reply to it.

I'm currently watching a documentary with Louis Theroux on American children being increasingly medicated.

Well, I decided to scroll down into the comments section and gauge viewer response to the documentary (first mistake).

I am greeted with this gem:

---

"All these kids would be fine if they had good parents"

---

I couldn't let this ignoramus get away with such an asinine remark, so I replied, spending 10 minutes formulating a coherent argument to his (admittedly BRILLIANT insight):

---

I'm sorry, but I had to say something, I usually don't comment on YouTube, particularly because of comments like this, but come on...

To say that this stems solely from "inadequate parenting" is ignorant at best.


These kids have documented chemical and sometimes physical abnormalities in the brain, it is NOT a matter of parenting, but of proper mental health treatment and management.


Although, that is NOT to say that mental illness is NOT over diagnosed, I will be the first to admit that the Western World in particular can at times be overly enthusiastic about medicating away their problems, and I would personally advocate behavioral interventions in lieu of medication, at least at the beginning.


However, I realize the futility in trying to make a reasoned argument on the internet, particularly on the comment section of YouTube."

---

I personally think I handled it rather well, I could have just been a complete jerk and stooped to his level, but I instead chose to formulate a reasoned reply to his single statement.

Ugh, THIS is why I hate YouTube... >.>
Ignoramuses on YouTube (Warning, Rant ahead)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire