So This is my Computer

lundi 31 août 2015

So.. I had to open up my computer the other night to have a look at one of my PCI cards, and I decided to take a few pics and post them here in case anyone is interested. I talk quite a lot about it, so here's my custom built desktop:

Click image for larger version.  Name: motherboard-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 181.0 KB  ID: 24627 Click image for larger version.  Name: graphics-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 177.0 KB  ID: 24628 Click image for larger version.  Name: cpu-fan-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 149.0 KB  ID: 24629
Click image for larger version.  Name: RAM-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 186.5 KB  ID: 24630 Click image for larger version.  Name: drives-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 168.3 KB  ID: 24631 Click image for larger version.  Name: IO-1-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 121.2 KB  ID: 24632
Click image for larger version.  Name: IO-2-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 150.3 KB  ID: 24633 Click image for larger version.  Name: psu-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 131.8 KB  ID: 24634 Click image for larger version.  Name: caselid-small.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 138.7 KB  ID: 24635

I called him Rainbow Dash ^_^ (yes I know on the show Rainbow Dash is a girl but it’s my computer so shut up :) ) I built him on the 27th of June, 2015 using parts and a case my friend gave me when he was clearing out his garage. All I had to buy was a CPU, heatsink and RAM. It’s a bit hard to date this computer since it uses components of varying age, but the motherboard is from 2002 so that’s what I’m going off. It’s not a perfect build; half the front panel connectors aren’t connected because I can’t get the front panel off to see what each cable is. And for some reason it needs about 3-4 minutes to warm up before booting properly. I dunno :)

Yeah it's a bit of a mess inside. But the cables are just long enough to be annoying but not long enough to route behind things and hide :) And we all know what it’s like trying to clean up and hide IDE cables : :)

Here are the full specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz single-core
4GB DDR-400 RAM (maxed out)
1.08TB Hard Drives (1*80GB Maxtor 2004 drive, 1*1TB WD Caviar Green from 2010)
CD-RW drive, DVD-DW drive, 3.5" HD floppy disk drive, external Zip100 drive
nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB
PCI TV tuner/capture card; ethernet card; firewire card; + other random things
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Up until August 15th I ran Windows 2000 but I had to give it up when web browsing became too much of a trial.

Unless he randomly dies and I’m not able to fix him, I plan on using this computer as my main system for another 1-3 years maybe. It’s kinda hard to predict when it’ll become too slow. I’ve been using old and outdated computers all my life and I don’t mind the speed of this system at all ^_^

I’ve never really understood people who want to always upgrade their computer every few years just so they can have the “latest and greatest”. It’s just a waste of money in my opinion. It may be nice to have a really new system for the speed, but I honestly couldn’t justify the price of a new custom build because it would be wasted on me, this computer performs great for me and I’ve used much lower end systems. Up until about May I used a 466Mhz computer as my main and I loved it. My laptop is 18 years old and it works fine for me. All you have to do is just use older versions of the programs you’d normally use and they run great :)

If you’ve seen some of my posts where I mention my computer, you’ll know that the ONLY part of it that I get annoyed about is the graphics card. I’d love a new one but I want to get one of the highest end AGP cards made so I can bring this system up to the present day as much as I can :) High end AGP cards are very hard to find because everyone who has an old AGP PC wants them..

I’m open to any questions people may have! But please, if you just want to tell me to upgrade and get a new computer, then this isn’t the thread for you :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version.  Name: graphics-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 177.0 KB  ID: 24628   Click image for larger version.  Name: RAM-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 186.5 KB  ID: 24630   Click image for larger version.  Name: IO-1-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 121.2 KB  ID: 24632   Click image for larger version.  Name: IO-2-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 150.3 KB  ID: 24633   Click image for larger version.  Name: psu-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 131.8 KB  ID: 24634  

Click image for larger version.  Name: caselid-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 138.7 KB  ID: 24635   Click image for larger version.  Name: drives-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 168.3 KB  ID: 24631   Click image for larger version.  Name: motherboard-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 181.0 KB  ID: 24627   Click image for larger version.  Name: cpu-fan-small.jpg  Views: N/A  Size: 149.0 KB  ID: 24629  
So This is my Computer

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire