Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) passed away

mercredi 19 août 2015

Your age is probably showing if you remember the Batman TV series of the 1960's with Adam West and Burt Ward. Yvonne Craig was brought into the show for the third season as Batgirl to boost ratings and expand its audience base. She just passed away after a two year battle with breast cancer.

http://ift.tt/1gXjJwU

The show itself was basically high camp and satire, but it didn't matter. When I was a little wee kid, these guys were my heroes. I think I even had my first crush on Robin.

Being a Trekkie, I also remember Craig playing a green skinned Orion in a Star Trek episode. In later years she was involved in social work and philanthropic work and advocated for free mammograms for women who could not afford them. Not a crime fighter in real life perhaps, but a fighter nonetheless.

As corny and silly as the Batman show was, It could be argued that Craig was a pioneer for women, playing the first female superhero on television, predating the Wonder Woman series in the seventies, and Black Widow on the big screen.
Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) passed away

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire